Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Someday

So I'm thinking about picking up a guitar.  Mainly because I got sudden GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) when AB got a half-scale guitar for Christmas.  I've been playing that, and it isn't very comfortable.  But at least the easy action strings aren't lighting into my flesh just yet.

Anyway, I was reading a thread in the Acoustic Guitar Forum on "why did you start playing guitar?".  One of the members posted this, and I really thought it was both poignant and thought-provoking.  So here it is.

"I love music and spent a lot of time attending concerts. As I sat there watching I would think to myself "Someday, I'd like to learn to play guitar". You know how that goes....someday never comes. When a friend passed away my wife said, "He did not die leaving anything undone." Guy was one of those folks that went after every experience never missing an opportunity. He was only 35 when he left us but he had a full life. His death told me that I needed to stop thinking about playing and get after it. It was like looking at a calendar and realizing there was a Monday, Wednesday and Sunday but you'll won't find a Someday. I've been playing for 8 years now. Of course I should have started earlier, but I'm very happy with where I am and plan to just get better each year. Thank you Guy for showing me the way."

So what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment