Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tri thoughts...

There has been a fair amount of other stuff going on, but I think I'll focus on athletics for this post.

This week is Bike KC week, in which bicycle/bus/walking commuters are able to log on to bikekc.org and log their commute miles. I've been doing ok so far, I think I'm just shy of 60 miles, and hope to log about 25 more on Friday. It's been a lot of fun, and I even got some air time on KCUR/NPR yesterday as I was interviewed by Steve Kraske on Up To Date. You can listen here. If that doesn't work, go to KCUR.org and look for Up To Date and download Tuesday's show.

So that's commuting. Now let's chat Triathlons. I received my Blue Seventy Reaction wetsuit last night from the FedEx man, and it fits perfectly. I got hot in about 15 seconds after putting it on, so I should be in good shape for the 60 degree water I'm expecting on Sunday. It looks like the temperature should be about 73 degrees by the time I finish my run (9:30, I'd guess?). I'm starting somewhere after 7:30am, and have/need to be onsite by 5:30 at the latest. That's going to be an early day, but I'm going to bed right after the kids on Saturday night.

I'm still a little nervous about the swim, but I'll get through it. Britton also graciously hooked me up with a Pinarello Dogma for the bike race. It's not a tri bike (he was all out), but it is a sweet, sweet carbon road bike that should be a good bit faster than my dear cross bike. And it ought to be for $11k. Yea, seriously, eleventhousanddollars. I might just keep riding all the way to some secret hiding place. So if that sweet ride isn't enough to make me vigorously splash 750 meters of water, I don't know what would be enough encouragement.


Packet pick up is tomorrow, and I'm getting excited!

2 comments:

  1. Gas mileage on such a bike is dependent on the engine. That being said, with this particular engine on it, the mileage is roughly 16 miles to the cheeseburger.

    ReplyDelete