Thursday, November 25, 2010

The giving of Thanks

I'm sure I'm not the only blogger out there telling everyone to take a few minutes and slow down to recognize all we have to be thankful for.  So why aren't you doing it?

We've been covering prayer a lot in church, and how it ought to be vs. how it often is.  Often we are asking God for things we want, and not listening or asking how we can help. 

I'm not a super-religious guy, I'd call myself more spiritual than religious.  But often I fail to take the time to recognize that important part of myself.  Often I just give a nod to my spirituality and go about my worldly ways.  But when I take the time to slow down, and the more often I think about what to pray "for", the more I realize that I want nothing for myself.  My heart hurts for those that are hungry, homeless, sick, and not fortunate enough to be born into circumstances as lucky as I am. 

So what am I doing about it?  I need to do more and not focus so much on myself.  I don't think I'm terribly selfish, at least I hope I'm not.  But I do see that dissonance of what I believe and what I do.  It's too easy to be selfish in this society of "me".

So in addition to being thankful for your circumstances, why not also help out someone who isn't as lucky?  Consider donating to St. Jude, World Bicycle Relief, Livestrong, or another charity important to you?  Go down and help at the City Mission, or Harvesters.  Just do something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment