Monday, November 9, 2009

Explain to me why

I enjoy suffering on Sunday?


Sunday morning I went out to the fine city of Leavenworth and raced in the De Stad Series' Veteran's Cup cyclocross race. The course was a lot more wide spread than the Boulevard cup, and it had a couple of long climbs and a couple of fast descents, with two sets of barriers. I didn't get to the course in quite enough time for a proper warm-up, so by lap two I was toasted. I started to feel a little life in my legs by lap 4, but by then, the damage was done. Average heart rate was 180, max was 198. Maybe next race I can hit 200. Ha!

I've had mixed reactions coming back from this race. I really didn't feel very whippy, but I held my own on the descents, and I even had a couple of barrier jumps go fairly smooth. But I had some go pretty poorly too. I just need to practice those a bit more. I'm still pretty sore from the hills, but this is to be expected. I've been trying to do intervals and some cardio work, but it's going to be a long haul before I'm jumping barriers and lapping people.

It's a journey I'm looking forward too.

No comments:

Post a Comment