Tuesday, January 26, 2010

FNG = suck, and the big annoucement.

I started a new job this week, and I'd forgotten how much I hate being the new guy.  On one hand, it's not much fun going to a job where you know next to nothing, but on the other hand, it's great seeing the opportunity I have before me to learn so much.  It wouldn't be much fun walking on to a job and knowing 80% of what's going on already.  I think I'd be bored in a few weeks in that type of scenario.

I haven't been riding/weight training as much as I would have liked to the last few weeks.  I'm not sure where the motivation has been, but it hasn't been on the trainer.  Maybe the stress of switching jobs has just got me a little worn out.  It's tough to keep perspective/focus when so much change is in the air.  At least everything else is stable in my life.

*BIG ANNOUCEMENT*
So on February 8th I begin my new training plan.  It's a 16 week plan for my first...triathlon!  I'll be racing in the Kansas City Triathlon on May 23rd, and the Shawnee Mission Park Triathlon on July 11th.  At both races I'll be doing to the Sprint Triathlons, which are roughly 500-yard swim, a 9-mile bike, and a 2.4-mile run.  Those distances don't seem that crazy on paper, but we'll see how tough they are back-to-back-to-back.  I'm looking forward to the challenge, and for something to provide some direction during my "off-season" for cyclocross.  Most CX racers will race road (or road is their primary discipline with CX their off-season), but I don't have a true road bike nor due I feel compelled to try road racing at this stage.  I'd much rather race mountain bikes, but don't have one of those either at this point.  We'll see.  I know how keen my wife is for me to fill the garage up with bikes, although I know there is nothing I would like better.  At least my affliction is a healthy one, right?

So that's all I have for now.  K-man has been teething like crazy and is in his fourth month of a constant cold, so that's pretty much the standard of living with him.  AB is turning into quite a good little man, and has a pre-kindergarten meeting coming up soon.  He's growing up way too fast, but his ever-changing personality is a wonder to behold.  I'm really enjoying the ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment