Tuesday, June 8, 2010

No vids this time

32 days and 8 hours til my next tri. This one will be out at Shawnee Mission Park, and I hear it's a hilly beast. Which is great, cuz I burn about 100 calories a step hauling all this man flesh up steep inclines. Ug. I can't get shredded like wheat by staying at home though and laughing maniacally on the trainer while watching Seinfeld videos. I finally hooked up the garmin while I was on the trainer and my heart didn't flutter out of zone 1 except when I squeezed out a little cheek music.

That was so funny I cracked a smile at my own writing.

Last weekend I went to the Kansas 70.3 Ironman (half-ironman). I got serious goosebumps just walking up to the course. Triathletes are some badass people. Maybe I'll consider myself one if I do a little better in this next race and turn in something faster than a 4:00 100yd swim time. That's just nasty.

Anyway, back to 70.3. For all of you who aren't familiar with Tri's, there are pretty much 4 distances. Sprint (what I do), International/Olympic, Half IM and Full IM. A sprint is something around a 500 yd swim, a 10 mile bike, and a 3 mile run. An international is 1500yd, 40k bike, and 10k run. IM is 2.4mi swim, 112mi bike, and 26.2 marathon. Fo realz. Half-IM is half an Ironman. I went there to pretty much see the pros and soak in the sights. My hero (and thousands of triathletes' hero), Chrissie Wellington, was there to pound the Earth into submission. I don't think I've met anyone as nice as her, professional athlete or not. She CRUSHED the women's field, and took 10th overall (chicking some 900+ dudes), and then stopped after finishing to talk to the spectators/fans for quite awhile. After all, local tri wundergirl Pip Taylor finished almost 17 minutes down on Chrissie, so C-Dub had some time to kill. Chrissie met a lot of kids who's Daddies were still out suffering in their pain caves and she really had nice conversations with them, asking if they were enjoying the race, and how their Dad's were doing, etc. This wasn't a sign a shirt or pose for a pic and walk away. My jaw was pretty much on the floor watching all this unfold in front of me.

So, obviously, I took lots of pics, and had to take a pic of Chrissie's legs. Shredded like wheat doesn't begin to describe her. But then again, what do you expect from the current, 3-time consecutive Ironman World Champion?



Maybe I'll have to up the ante next year and do the 70.3 too. Stranger things have happened! I'll have to chew on that for awhile though, and get a real tri bike. I'm sure the wife will love having yet another bike in the garage!

No comments:

Post a Comment