Monday, December 13, 2010

Steep-and-Cheap mailers

One of the best parts of waking up is having Steep-and-Cheap email spam in my mailbox.  Maybe I shouldn't call it spam, because I signed up for it, and it would be one of the last auto-delivery emails I'd ever block.  Steep-and-cheap is a e-clearinghouse for all sorts of outdoorsy stuff, from camping gear to bike stuff to snowboard stuff.  But the deals aren't what amuse me so.  What I love is the little stories that come out each day.  It's almost as though I type them myself.  Here is today's entry, which even strikes a bit of a personal note with me.

"Celebrating one's own birthday is a bit odd if you pause a moment to consider it. After all, you did very little that deserves celebration on your own birthday. You basically just showed up and let other people do all the work. Celebrating this event is pretty self-serving. In an ideal world, the birthday celebrants would be the mothers who gave birth. They'd give a toast to not being able to drink wine for 9 months (x) amount of years ago, and then they'd get free drinks all night at the bar. Sadly, this is not the case. Ultimately it's just another example of how giving mothers can be."

No comments:

Post a Comment