Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Friday night campout

AB is quite proud!
AB and I went on our first Cub Scout campout last Friday night. We were pretty concerned about the weather, so instead of doing the full campout, we split around 9:30pm, which all but 4 families did as well. It was really muddy, but very fun. The boys had a great time running around, and it reminded me of when I was in scouts. We got to make smores, and had a nice catered cookout (kinda Johnson County, don't you think?). No matter though, there were smiles all around.

Muddy Buddies
This was also the graduation ceremony for each boy to move up into the next rank. The incoming first graders were also indoctrinated as Tiger Cubs. AB, with his buddies, were all super excited. I remember that feeling well. I just wished I would have stuck with it a little longer and gotten my Eagle Scout, but girls and other interests took over.


I had a great conversation with the Cubmaster's father, who is one of AB's buddy's grandpas. Everyone knows him because he has a real teepee. He told me the story of it, and many more stories about him growing up, and about a great scout troop let's the boys run the show. The adults are there to make sure no one gets maimed, but otherwise they stay out of the way. That is how leaders are made.

More Muddy Buddies
I don't think that there are many avenues out there for boys to become leaders and free-thinkers. Most everything these days involving youth seems to reward "average" and to "stay within the lines". I hope AB has fun and gets a lot out of this. I have lots of good memories from Scouts, as does my dad. I'd say we're off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment