Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fresh content smells the best

Sorry I haven't been as diligent as I should be about updating the blog. Most of my spare energy has been going into training, as my tri is only a few days away and I'm trying to spend some time doing the old SBR (swim, bike, run). Swimming is coming along ok, I had a few moments of actual swimming last night where my stroke felt efficient and the water started flying past me. As more and more of those moments come, and as my breathing gets better (still my weak link), I think I might turn into an actual swimmer yet!

One of my observations about being a multi-sport athlete (other people, not me, yet), is that to be proficient in all three sports takes a lot of training. Triathletes aren't typically skinny because they control what they eat; I think it's just due to the amount of training one has to endure to be competitive.

It is this giant time suck that has me waffling on entering something as audacious as the Kansas 70.3 next year. That would entail training 10-15 hours every week, sometimes more especially as the date gets closer. That would require some major spousal support. We'll see. I know P would support me, but that is a major commitment to myself as well. Especially when training would start roughly the last week of January.

I really would like to do a sub 6-hour half-ironman if I'm going to do it. I could go out there with the "just finish" mentality, but I think I can do better than that. I'll need to peel off better than 2:00/100yd swim, 20+mph bike, and probably sub 9 min/mile run, with average to good transitions to pull that off. Actually that math would yield a 5:28:06 + transitions (~4 minutes). That'd be a pretty rockin' time.

So enough tri-geekery! I was inspired by our friend Francie's blog, where she asked her son Owen a series of questions. I had fun asking AB some of the same questions a few nights ago, and here are his answers...

1. What is your favorite book?
A: Ironman

2. What is your favorite movie?
A: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

3. What is your favorite food?
A: Grilled Cheese and grapes.

4. What is your favorite TV show?
A: Ben Ten.

5. How do you like being five years old?
A: Kinda good. Depends on if I have big boys beat me up.

6. What is your favorite color?
A: Blue.

7. Who is your favorite superhero?
A: Batman.

8. What is your favorite song?
A: The Imperial March from Star Wars (Darth Vader's theme)

9. What do you want to be when you grow up?
A: Tall MU Player (at this point he runs across the room, stands there for a second and runs back. I ask him what was wrong and he told me he needed a "fart break".)

10. What is your least favorite food?
A: Chicken

11. What do you want to do when you're five? (What are your goals for the year?)
A: Skateboard (Now he runs to the bathroom, poop break)

12. What is your favorite thing to do with Mommy?
A: Go downstairs and watch a movie.

13. What is your favorite thing to do with Daddy?
A: Go to the pool.

14. What is your favorite thing to do with your buddies?
A: Run around and play.

15. What is something Mommy always says to you?
A: Go upstairs and get to bed.

16. What is something Daddy always says to you?
A: Eat your breakfast. (Apparently we don't deal well with his pokiness)

17. Where is your favorite place to go?
A: Florida

18. What makes you laugh?
A: Funny jokes. Sometimes when people do funny things that I laugh so hard and fall down on the floor.

19. What is your nickname?
A: AB.

20. What is your favorite toy?
A: Nerf blaster guns.

21. What makes you sad?
A: When somebody hurts my feelings and pushes me. And when people say "I'm not your friend".

22. If Spider-Man and The Hulk fought each other, who would win?
A: Probably Hulk because he's stronger and tougher. *pause* Probably Spiderman cuz he shoots a web. If Ironman and Wolverine fought, Ironman would win. Because he has more powerful weapons.

Funny kid!

1 comment: